A selection of my latest bakes

Your pictures and fotos in a slideshow on MySpace, eBay, Facebook or your website!view all pictures of this slideshow

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Today's Citrus Crop from the Vegie Garden

We are so lucky where we live. We don't have frosts,
although the temperature does drop to around 3c
in winter. But in the summer, it often reached the
high 30c's and one Christmas not so long ago, it
was 52c on Boxing Day. Yes, we melted that year.
Anyway, what I am getting at here, is we are in an
excellent position for growing Citrus. Hot and long
summers, and all we have to worry about is keeping
the water up to them. We do have two water tanks
in now, so that should help us this summer. With
heavy water restrictions here on the coast, we can't
just go and turn a tap on. Much as I would like to
some days.

What do we have in?

Imperial Mandarin. (gave us 23 in second year)
Grapefruit. (second year gave us over 50)
Lime. (third year, too many to count)
Valencia Orange. (third year and over 50)
Meyer Lemon. (hundreds)
Lemonade Lemon. (again, hundreds)
Now I am in a bit of a dilemma, having harvested
today. What do I make?
Fed up of making marmalade and the like.
So will be juicing a load and freezing it.
Orange and Lemon muffins.
Self saucing Lemon pudding.
Lemon chicken, are just a few I have thought of.
That is a Meyer Lemon I am holding, sorry about the picture quality, but my arms weren't long enough to get it in focus properly. LOL, LOL.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sally you are so lucky to have all that growing in your garden :)

Thinking About Food said...

It is great having citrus trees, we have quite a few too. You should try the lemon pickle recipe on my blog Sally, it's a good way to use lemons and has that sweet/sour vibe that reminds me of lemon chicken! I love lemon chicken!

Coby said...

Hottie, that's a fabulous crop:) We have just planted our very first lemon tree, so I imagine it'll be a while until I can have anything like you have! Thank goodness for my parent's citrus;) What about preserved lemons (try doing some in the freezer a la Stephanie Alexander:)) and lemonade? You can also dry some mandarine peel for Asian dishes (it's sold as dried tangerine in the shops). Also, have a look on taste.com
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/12207/chickpea+couscous+salad
That's a recipe I have been making for years - I just found it online - it uses grapefruit juice and it's wonderful:)

Anna's kitchen table said...

How fabulous Sally - a real bountiful harvest!
xx

Rosie said...

WOW all this growing in your garden!! You really are SO lucky!!

Rosie x

Kelly-Jane said...

How lovely to have such a wonderful bounty from your garden :)

Rhyleysgranny said...

You are so lucky. Your crop looks so healthy too. I think your very green fingers have something to do with this too. Not just the Australian subshine. Amazing. Well done Sal
xxx

Cakebrain said...

Oh! I'm so envious of your crop of fruit! I'm in Vancouver on the West Coast and have 2 Asian Pear trees. The trees are only 5 years old, and my crop last year was 7 pears from only one tree 'cause the stupid ants and squirrels got to most of the fruit first! I could do so many desserts with your citrus crop!

Tina said...

What I would not do to be able to grow something like that. Am green with envy!

Tina xx