A selection of my latest bakes

Your pictures and fotos in a slideshow on MySpace, eBay, Facebook or your website!view all pictures of this slideshow

Friday, February 27, 2009

Very Dark Sticky Gingerbread

This is gingery, spicy and oh so sticky and tasty. Yummyness (I know that is not a word, but it should be) at it's best. A special THANK YOU to Rita's Mum in Scotland, who has been making this for years and has now passed it on to her daughter Rita and then on to me. My! How I would love to get into her recipe collection.You will need..

1/2 pint of Milk.
5 ozs dark soft Brown Sugar.
2 tablesps. Treacle.
2 tablesps. Golden Syrup.
4 ozs Butter.
2 Eggs (beaten)
1/2 lb S.R. Flour. (sifted)
1/2 teasp. Bicarb. Soda.
1 tablesp. Ground Ginger.
1 tablesp. Ground Cinnamon.
1 tablesp. Mixed Spice.
Pinch of Salt.

Method..

Put the first five ingredients in to a saucepan on a low heat and melt the lot together stirring now and then, don't burn it. Now let this cool . When it has cooled, add the beaten eggs and mix. Now add the sifted Flour, Bicarb Soda, Ginger, Cinnamon, Mixed Spice and Salt.
I did this all in one big saucepan to save on washing up and used my hand mixer.
Grease and line your tins. It will make 1 x 2lb and 1 x 1lb loaf. I used something different again as I wanted it to be more of a slice. Oblong tin measuring 8 inches by 12 inches, the mix covered the bottom well and rose beautifully.
Oven temperature 180c/350f. And bake for around an hour, or until cake tester comes out clean.
This is a wonderful recipe and very much a *keeper* in my home. Hope you enjoy it too.


7 comments:

Cakebrain said...

anything that dark and sticky ought to be extremely yummy, in my opinion. That looks wickedly delicious!

Rhyleysgranny said...

It's a wonderful recipe isn't it? Yours looks so good.

JillyB said...

Sal, that looks really yummy. I think that I may have to copy!!

jaygirl said...

Oh Sal I wish you could have seen my moums face when I showed her this, she is so chuffed you made her day, and as this is her 89th birthday that took some doing. Thanks so much for blogging this. XX

Sally said...

You are more than welcome Jaygirl(Rita). It is a gawjuz recipe.
Happy 89th Birthday to you Rita's MUM. Love Sally. xx

♥Rosie♥ said...

Oh my now doesn't this look and sound divine!!

Rosie x

test it comm said...

That gingerbread looks really good!